Mother’s Day cards are selling well at the Floating Lemons stores at the moment, so it must be coming up soon. I said this to a friend of mine the other day and she asked, “Hasn’t it just been and gone?” Well, yes, but that was in the United Kingdom …
So to avoid confusion there’s a list of Mother’s Days dates from around the world at the end of this post. But first, here are a few of our best-selling cards to celebrate the special occasion:
After a bit of research online, I've compiled the list, and it's a surprisingly long one ...
MOTHER'S DAY AROUND THE WORLD:
- The United States - celebrates Mother's Day on the second Sunday in May.
- The United Kingdom - celebrates “Mothering Sunday” on the fourth Sunday in Lent.
And around the rest of our globe, it’s celebrated on ..
- February 12 - Norway
- March 3 - Georgia
- March 8 - Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Laos, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Vietnam.
- March 18 - Bangladesh, Ireland, Nigeria
- March 21 (first day of spring) - Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
- March 25 - Slovenia
- April 7 (Mother's Day and Beauty Day) - Armenia
- April 21 (Mata Tirtha Aunshi) - Nepal
- First Sunday in May - Hungary, Lithuania, Mozambique, Portugal, Spain
- May 8 - South Korea (Parents' Day)
- May 10 - El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico
- Second Sunday in May - Anguilla, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burma, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Curaçao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Ecuador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Macao, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Sint Maarten, Slovakia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- May 15 - Paraguay
- May 26 - Poland
- May 27 - Bolivia
- Last Sunday in May - Algeria, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mauritius, Morocco, Sweden, Tunisia, France and French Antilles (France is the last Sunday in May except if it coincides with Pentecost day (50th day after lent), in which case it is shifted to the first Sunday in June)
- May 30 - Nicaragua
- June 1 - Mongolia
- Second Sunday in June - Luxembourg
- Last Sunday in June - Kenya
- August 12 - Thailand (Queen Sirikit Kitiyakara's birthday)
- August 15 - Costa Rica, Antwerp (Belgium)
- Second Monday in October - Malawi
- October 14 - Belarus
- Third Sunday in October - Argentina
- December 8 - Panama
- December 22 - Indonesia
It’s wonderful to know that there are mothers being appreciated all year round, which explains why our cards fly from the stores on a constant basis, though admittedly the majority get grabbed up before the May United States date!
Wishing all of you, and your mothers, a happy day, every day, wherever you might be. Cheers.